New Yorkers know all about terrible traffic and aggressive drivers. They deal with it every day. While it’s always a good idea to drive defensively, there are a few tactics that are especially useful when driving in heavy traffic. These tips could prevent you from being seriously injured by an impatient or negligent driver.
Everyone driving in the New York area has seen it countless times. Some driver gets impatient and suddenly pulls in front of another car with no warning and slams on the brakes. Every Accident Attorney in Nassau County NY has talked to many people who were severely injured in just this type of accident. Everyone can only process so many distractions at the same time, so limit distractions as much as possible.
- Turn music down or off.
- Put your cell phone on silent or turn it off.
- Tell any passengers to be quiet until out of heavy traffic.
Every driver needs to know and use as many defensive driving skills as possible.
- Plan for emergencies by trying to prevent being boxed in by other cars. Instead, always try to have an escape option if needed.
- Know what’s around you by constantly scanning traffic and road conditions.
- Identify and avoid any cars that are being driven erratically, drifting in the lane, or speeding dangerously.
- Use signals when turning or merging into traffic.
- Don’t tailgate, as that cuts reaction time to almost zero. Allow a three-second distance between your car and the car in front.
- Don’t drive when very tired or upset.
Plan Driving Times and Routes to Avoid the Worst Traffic
This isn’t always possible, but sometimes leaving even fifteen minutes before or after peak traffic times can make a difference.
- Look for routes that have less traffic.
- Find out from traffic reports if there are any accidents or construction on your planned route before leaving.
Slow When Approaching Congested Traffic
If there is a very crowded section of road ahead, approach it slowly. This will help to avoid panic stops and also save gas.
All accidents cannot be avoided, but it’s certainly worth the effort to try. If you’re injured because of another driver’s negligence, call The Law Offices of Elan Wurtzel for a free consultation to review your case. This experienced Accident Attorney in Nassau County NY will fight for the compensation you deserve.