When you head to your first meeting with family lawyers in Highland Park, it’s important to be prepared. If you aren’t prepared, you may end up wasting money since getting the attorney up to speed will take longer. We want to provide some insight on what to expect and questions you should ask in this first meeting to maximize your time.
The first thing the attorney will want to know is who you are and what your contact information is. They may also be interested in your business and personal background. They will also ask questions about the situation that brings you into the meeting. If you have important information you want to share, it’s best to write it down and bring it in with you to the lawyer. In some cases, they may also provide you with a questionnaire to fill out and send in before the meeting.
Conflict of Interest
One of the other things the lawyer will be curious about is whether there are any conflicts of interest. If someone in the firm represents another party in the issue, that will usually mean that the lawyer cannot represent you.
Questions to Ask
Make sure you jot down questions you want to ask at the meeting. Don’t be afraid to ask something that might seem silly. Your family lawyers in Highland Park are there to provide you with the answers you need. Below are some of the questions you may want to include on your list:
- Do you specialize in cases like mine or do are they only part of your practice?
- What is your level of experience with cases like mine? How many similar cases have you been part of in the last year?
- Are there any resources you can provide me to help me through the case with as little stress as possible?
- What are the tax effects of the decisions I will be making?
- Will you be the only person in your office working on my case?
- How will I be charged? Is there an hourly rate? Am I charged for time with other lawyers, secretaries, or paralegals?
- What services may I need through the process, such as deeds, updated wills, trusts, or bills of sales?
Armed with this information and a list of questions, you’ll be prepared to have your first meeting with an attorney. If you are looking for experienced lawyers to help you, consider Michael C. Craven. You can find out more about us by visiting www.DivorceLawyersChicago.org or by calling 312-621-5234.